Saturday, January 8, 2011

Art Room Project - Lower Desk

This is the sixth post in my Art Room Project. Find the Table of Contents at the first post, Getting Started.

Work on the Work Area

Time to focus on the work area. I built the trash cabinet first. This holds up the lower desk on the left.

Trash Cabinet

Having a trash can in a cabinet is nothing new. I looked at many pre-built options, but realized it is just a drawer turned upside down. Cut a hole for the bin, add some structure to the bottom and we have a good solution.

I used 100 lb rated drawer slides. If I'm throwing away more than 100 lbs in this little trash can, I have bigger issues than the drawer slide rating.

Here you can also see the lower desk installed. I cut a small hole so trash can be pushed in without needing to open the drawer.










Secret Stash

Here is the secret drawer in the toe-kick area. This area is normally just blocked off, but it seemed like wasted space. I added a small drawer and angled the facing so the seams blend in when closed.

Everyone likes a secret stash. I like having a secret stash. Don't tell anyone where mine is.

I wish I had a secret stash on my other side cabinet, but this idea came late in building.
Lower Desk

Here's the lower desk in place. It is finally starting to look like a real work area.

You can see my old wire shelves coveting my new cabinets. It is like a furniture standoff. Your days are numbered, wire shelves.
View from the inside. The desk top is 1/2" birch plywood with a 3/4" trim on the edges to clean up the profile.

Next Post: Upper Desk

No comments:

Post a Comment