Friday, July 20, 2012

Procreate: My New Sketchbook

Since I can remember, a sketchbook has been my constant companion. I'm a visual thinker, so ideas flow from my pencil more than my keyboard. Since tablet computers were promised, I've dreamed of replacing paper and pen with the clean, infinite media of digital art. 


While nothing can replace the feeling and smell of a new sketchbook waiting to explode with ideas, the benefits of a tablet are too many to ignore--especially with the current iPad's quality, resolution and battery life. Paper now has a serious contender, and with Procreate on the iPadI finally do not feel bad about leaving my sketchbook at home.


To start out, I'll show what is possible with Procreate. I made this from scratch in about 4 hours total as a beginner with the product.

Skull Study


You can find the feature list and marketing material on Savage's website. Here's my list of Procreate Pros and Cons. I'll expand on some of them below.

Pros

  • Brushes look and feel natural (if you like). The brushes are easy to create, customize and tweak, and can be as controlled or as funky as you want.
  • Basic Interface. A good interface gives you need and gets out of the way. Procreate's interface is lean and easy to learn. When working, the tools and options are within reach without being obtrusive.
  • Layers. Good use of layers with set of features to make them powerful and productive.
  • Can export to Photoshop with layers intact. Enough said.
  • High Definition option. Can create a canvas in either 960x704 or double to a roomy 1920 x 1408.

Cons

These are not game-breaking cons, as there are easy work-arounds for each. They are just suggestions to make it a little better for my needs. Plus, I feel a little more objective by trying to find something to complain about.
  • The color palette could be better, such as have more colors and option to have unique palette for each image.
  • Could use a system for drawing simple, straight lines, circles, etc.
  • A mirror feature would be nice to have.
(I can post easy workarounds on these at a later time.)

Brushes

The brush system is explained on their site, but the basic notion is this:

Brush Parts
A brush has two images associated with it, a shape and a grain (background). The shape determines what part of the grain is shown when you draw. A brush controls the dynamics between these two parts and how they are drawn when the brush is pulled across the canvas.









Dynamic Properties
Brush Sample
One feature used to make it feel natural is the dynamic brush. Size and opacity can be varied by the speed of the stroke. In lieu of a pressure-sensitive pen (one becoming available from Adonit soon which Procreate will support), this gives the brush a lifelike feel and makes the stroke look less 'digital'.







Custom Brushes
Some art programs put the background texture on the canvas. Procreate puts it on the brush, which can make for interesting and fun mixtures. 


Procreate comes standard with an array of natural and interesting brushes, or you can buy extra sets. I enjoy creating my own sets and toying with new shapes and grains to see what is uncovered.

Layers

Procreate has the layer features to make them work well.
  • Up to 16 layers.
  • Can clear, duplicate, merge, transform and set opacity of all layers.
  • Blending options, such as Multiply, Add, Screen, Lighten and Exclusion.
  • Can lock a layer's alpha. Perfect for shading and other tricks.
Layers
Blending Options
Alpha Locking Sample.
Can't color outside the lines!












Final Compliment

I've tried many of the art applications for the iPad. Procreate stands out because it is efficient and walks the line of being simple and powerful. The biggest compliment I can give is I haven't touched my sketchbook in weeks.

Soon, I'll post some textures and brushes I've created for Procreate.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I just started playing with some of the art apps, so this recommendation comes at the perfect time! I'll have to install this and give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Be sure to download the user guide: http://savage.si/downloads/Procreate-User-Guide.pdf.

    The app is intuitive, and the manual gives some pro-tips and other details to help get the most out of the app.

    ReplyDelete