Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Grid Templates

In my previous post I talked about my favorite iPad drawing app, Procreate. One feature I miss is the ability to use a grid. Lucky for us, I have an easy work-around.

I created grids in Photoshop and exported them to images for use on the iPad.

Using the Grids

Simply save the full size images to your iPad pictures. Most painting/drawing apps support adding an image. Just import the grid you like and place it in a background layer.


Standard Definition Grids

These grids are for a standard size canvas. Full size is 1024x768. I have a variety to use. Links take you to the full size image.

  • Green Grid - Simulates my favorite engineering grid paper
  • Thirds - Splits screen into thirds
  • Fours - Splits screen into four parts (center line)
  • Grid Thirds - Grid with Thirds highlighted
Drawing grid
Green Grid
Drawing grid thirds
Thirds
Grid center lines
Center Lines
drawing grid thirds
Grid Thirds


High Definition Grids

These grids are for Procreate's high definition canvas at 1920x1408. Links take you to the full size image.
  • Thirds - Split screen into thirds
  • Standard - Basic grid with center lines highlighted
  • Full Grid - Grid with thirds and center lines highlighted
high definition grid thirds
Thirds HD
simple high definition grid
Basic Grid HD
full grid iPad
Full Grid HD

Coming Soon

Next I'll upload some textures and brush shapes to use in Procreate.



7 comments:

  1. This is great! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this. I thought I'd have to create my own grids, but here they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing and saving me long hours of creating these. They're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi..I am an archaeologist who draws maps to scale in the field, usually on engineering paper. I am tying to switch to digital collection and was excited to find your post. I am wondering how detailed the drawing program can be? Is it dependent on the size of the stylus? The resolution? I often draw at a scale of 1 inch=10meters. I have an ipad 2..any suggestions for drawing apps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, I am very new to procreate but not an artist (a crafter). Do you have a writing grid for learning or practicing letter writing?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, thanks for this. I was just about to make my own but decided to google it real quick and found this. You rule.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. The grids are a great help.

    ReplyDelete