Saturday, August 25, 2012

5 by 5 ACO Project

My latest project is doing a few paintings for the 5 by 5 exhibition which benefits our Arts Center of the Ozarks in Springdale.

ACO 5x5Every year, the ACO accepts donated art (limited to a 5" x 5" canvas or 5" x 5" x 5" three dimensional art) from local and regional artists. They auction off the works and all proceeds go the ACO.

This year the donations will be shown in their gallery from October 4th through November 8th, and will auction off the pieces November 8th from 6pm to 8pm via silent auction.

I thought it would be a fun challenge and get me back into painting Plus, the ACO is a great organization. Helping them, even in this small way, is a great cause.


Blank Canvas

It took me a week of doodling, thinking, testing, prototyping and staring at a blank canvas to finally focus on what I wanted to do. I decided to tap into my graphic arts skills and put them into a traditional medium. I wanted to create some computer icons in acrylics.

Pixel Paint

Building an icon for a program or website is simply painting with pixels. Each pixel on your screen is a dot of solid color, so I went with a stippling, almost impressionist effect, using dots of solid color paint to blend together the effect of a computer icon.

I chose simple and recognizable icons most people see every day. I chose the web icons from the Chrome browser: Home, Refresh and Forward. (Three felt like a good set.)

Home Refresh Icon PaintingForward Icon Painting

It turned out to be a fun little project. Maybe they will find a good home in someone's office.




1 comment:

  1. These are amazing Alex - at first glance I swore they were 3D!!! They certainly trick the eye!!

    ReplyDelete