Saturday, November 6, 2010

Art Room Project - Getting Started

Art Room Project Series


This is the first post in a series taking you through a cabinet building project I've worked on. The Table of Contents of the series:

  1. Getting Started - You are here.
  2. Design and Plans
  3. Upper Cabinets
  4. Side Cabinets
  5. Project Cabinets
  6. Lower Desk
  7. Upper Desk
  8. Drawer Panels
  9. Cabinet Doors
  10. Project Drawers
  11. Protect and Finish
  12. Final Details

Introduction

I'm lucky to have a home office which is a second Master bedroom. It is big with plenty of windows, double doors to the back patio, a full bathroom, and an utterly useless walk-in closet. It is too large for storage, but too small to be its own room. Its size is roughly 5.5' x 9.5' with normal 8' ceilings.

Repurpose Room

Those who know me know my hobby is having hobbies, so I wanted to convert this space to a workable area to hold all the fiddly bits for painting, sculpture, fly tying and whatever else I tackle. It was easy to imagine the area as a large, work cubicle with a desk and storage cabinets. The task for me was to design and build this cubicle.

Starting Space
Here's a picture of the space before I started. The wire shelves will be removed when finished. Now it holds all the crap I'm trying to hide/organize with these new cabinets.

I added an outlet near the ceiling for under cabinet lights. More on that later.

Over the next few posts I'll report my progress and mention anything interesting I learn.

Next Post: Design and Plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment